The Acton Shunter L11 was a new shunting locomotive for Acton Works was constructed in 1964 and numbered L11. It was manufactured by cutting in half two standard 1931 tube stock DMs, car numbers 3080 and 3109, and joining the driving ends. Most of the underframe equipment was moved into the body to facilitate servicing.
The east (Acton works) end had ward couplings at both surface stock and tube stock height, and the latter could be fitted with an adaptor to enable it to connect to more modern stock fitted with the wedgelock type coupling. This end also had the communicating door replaced by a stable door arrangement and a lighting unit fitted so as to make it easier for the driver to see the coupler. Initially the standard maroon livery was used, but in 1983 it was repainted in the new engineers' vehicle yellow livery.
It was withdrawn from service in 1989, and was stored in the open initially at Ruislip, then later at Acton works. In 2004 a preservation group moved it to a compound outside the signal box at Epping, and did some restoration work, but it is now looking rather sorry for itself again.